Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On 100-Word Silliness...

My charming and entertaining friend Ms Density and I challenged one another to write a "story" on a proferred topic using precisely 100 words, no more, no less.

She gave me a "clockwork owl" with the stipulation that I NOT look it up.

I, in turn, gave her a "cheese pig" with the same strictures.


Here is my story:


Oesterren lived in the Black Forest.

Unlike other owls, Oesterren lived diurnally. “The early bird catches the worm,” he said cryptically, considering himself a wise, old owl. Others simply thought “Odd duck...”

One day a temperamental kestrel chased Oesterren home. Oesterren remained inside, with his bird's eye-view, watching said birdie. “Don't give a hoot about cowardice,” he thought, “This won't be MY swan song!”

Just then a woodsman chopped down Oesterren's tree – with Oesterren inside, refusing to fly the coop.

A timepiece was made. Oesterren, keeping his pecker up, was utilized rather than a cuckoo, making him a clockwork owl!



I've yet to see my challenger's literary retort just yet, but I'm sure it shall prove amusing and silly as my own. And I've NO idea yet what a clockwork owl is/was/shall be, wondering if it might be something as daft as a clockwork orange?

No comments: